Jun 15, 2013

Lay Aside every Weight

   I am glad to come to the house of the Lord each time the Lord gives me grace to be able to come.  Though many services are attended and sermons & songs are heard; there is still a longing each time for the Lord to minister instruction, conviction, and change to my heart.  Praise the Lord for God knocking me, and my desires, off my mental pedestal and placing Jesus back where He deserves to be. 

   Yet every service is not the same, because sometimes my mind is determined to focus on other things.  Sometimes it is our ‘heart’ (of emotions) that preoccupies us from focusing on God.  My list of ‘cares of the world’ includes “What’s for lunch, How much will the offerings be, What meetings do I have this week, What are people going to think of the devotional, Why did ‘John’ come to church today, When will ‘Alice’ apologize to me . . .”  Soon the Holy Spirit will convict me of my wandering mind and bring me back to a moldable heart.  Often that takes trust in God, to take care of my needs; and other times it involves my kindness to and patience of others, trust in their motives, and forgiving their trespasses to me.  When I effectively get rid of these weights; it is always worth it, in order to embrace Jesus more fully with my whole heart, strength, and soul. 

   What are your roadblocks to genuine worship and ministry?  Have you put your trust in yourself, instead of God?  Are you looking at people around the room more than you look at Jesus?  If we are currently clear of the burdens, heed the Proverb below and monitor your heart.  Keep watch for seeds of contention and anger, pray for guidance, and be quick to forgive and apply grace to others.  Then prepare for the Holy Spirit to fill your de-cluttered heart.  A heart full of the Holy Spirit will allow us to share freely with all the community around us the wonderful gospel of Christ.

“Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.  Put away from you a deceitful mouth, And put perverse lips far from you.” Proverbs 4:23-24

“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith,. . .” Hebrews 12:1-2a

“Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.” Matthew 5:23-24

"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” Matthew 6:14-15 (and verse 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment