Oct 6, 2012

Prayer for Boldness


And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested. 1 Chronicles 4:10

“if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14

“And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.” Acts 4:31

praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints-- and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.  Ephesians 6:18-20

“Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” James 4:16

The Bible speaks highly of prayer; and we are commanded to pray.  So why do our individual and corporate (in a group) prayers become short, generic, and not even God honoring so often?  What would happen if all our prayers were answered?  Who would be better off because they were answered?  Our family or church?  The people of the Bible were able to do great things; because they asked a Great God, through great (big) prayers. 

Prayer is not a magic formula for success in life, or getting everything we could ever want, however when we become Kingdom-minded our desires change.  Jesus offered a Model prayer in Matthew 6, then in chapter 7 He says “Ask and it will be given to you.”  James said you have not, because you ask not; or ask amiss (James 4:1-4). 

How long has it been since you examined your prayer life?  There are millions or billions needing the church to take serious its call to minister to the broken and downtrodden.  There are billions who have never heard the name of Jesus.  Will we be satisfied in praying for one lost soul, when so many churches haven’t even reached one in over a year?  Could everyone you pray personally for salvation, fit in your pew?  If they can, we probably need to pray bigger.  Then we must also move when God directs us.  For the future, should we look at expanding our facilities for 50-60 people, or multiplying what we have to double our ability to reach Hart County?  We must learn to pray with boldness, so that we can proclaim His Gospel with boldness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment